Lawrence of Arabia said.....
George W. Stalin
2007-08-07 15:37:43 UTC
Anyone who has read T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom knew that what
was fashioned into Iraq was not really a country, but many families and
tribes. Loyalties shifted with the desert winds. Saddam Hussein held these
disparate groups together with brute force. Bush's invasion cut the Gordian
knot and everything unraveled.

Now what the generals are saying is that we have paid too much in blood and
treasure to turn back. What they advocate is a mad exercise in which we lose
more blood and treasure; and for what? As Hedges pointed out, the Russians
and the Chinese sit on the sidelines, the former enjoying the payback we're
getting for our aid to the Mujadeen in Afghanistan--aid that hastened the
demise of the Soviet Union--the latter continuing to finance our occupation
of Iraq by buying our paper and therefore putting our economy at increasing
risk.

Mr. Hedges may be mistaken on one point--the last remaining item in
Pandora's box, which is hope. The people who inhabited the land that was
briefly transformed into Iraq managed to live together in relative peace
before the Western powers intervened because of their lust for the resources
lying under the desert sands. Our military occupation might be a necessary
condition for the increasing violence. If that condition is removed, the
situation may get better, not worse. Of course, we will lose the oil; but it
was never ours to take.

The FUN'S just getting started!
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/05/us.iraq/index.html?section=cnn_latest
fargo116
2007-08-07 15:44:57 UTC
"Are you joking or do you really not have any toilet paper? Must I
scrub my ass with sand?"

S. Olson
George W. Stalin
2007-08-07 16:39:39 UTC
Lawrence: "We can't all be lion tamers."
Bruce Olin
2007-08-07 17:22:36 UTC
"Beat me!" "Beat me harder!" "God, I love it!"

Larry of Arabia (noble fellow, but a bit of a masochist)
Salad
2007-08-07 17:03:58 UTC
Post by George W. Stalin
[...]
Maybe we could buy the oil instead of attempting to steal it.
George W. Stalin
Really? Try running that concept by Pirate Bush.
Charles Aulds
2007-08-07 18:39:36 UTC
Post by Salad
Maybe we could buy the oil instead of attempting to steal it.
A LOT cheaper than the price of this war ... unless you are one of those
who believe that a very low value can be placed on the lives of American
soldiers (rightwinger, I mean YOU).

Most of us, traditional conservatives like myself, and progressives alike,
still consider those lives a part of our national treasure; far too
precious to waste.

Charles
Jeff
2007-08-07 19:04:35 UTC
Post by Charles Aulds
Post by Salad
Maybe we could buy the oil instead of attempting to steal it.
A LOT cheaper than the price of this war ... unless you are one of those
who believe that a very low value can be placed on the lives of American
soldiers (rightwinger, I mean YOU).
Most of us, traditional conservatives like myself, and progressives alike,
still consider those lives a part of our national treasure; far too
precious to waste.
The little that has come out o the energy meetings that Cheney held at
the beginning of Bushes first term include reams of maps of Iraqi oilfields.

What they are really concerned with is who is going to make the money
of the oil, not where it's going. Iraq contains one of the largest
relatively untapped and unexplored (by modern technology) oil reserves
in the world. Discoveries of new oil are dwindling and these guys are
fairly desperate to lay their hands on new oil.

It's never been about what is good for our country. Never.

So, we know it's not about WMD. It's not about spreading democracy.
The excuse now is that the catastrophy that they've created in Iraq will
get worse. Talk about the low expectations of George W Bush.

That's only good enough for those desperate to hang onto power.

Jeff
Charles
James McGill
2007-08-07 19:36:50 UTC
Post by Jeff
It's never been about what is good for our country. Never.
Our country elected oil men to its highest offices. Obviously our
country believes, collectively, that the interests of oil men reflect
the highest interests of the nation, whether you or I agree personally.
Bruce Olin
2007-08-07 22:09:43 UTC
"James McGill" <***@email.arizona.edu> wrote in message news:f9ahki$c29$***@onion.ccit.arizona.edu...
| Jeff wrote:
| > It's never been about what is good for our country. Never.
|
| Our country elected oil men to its highest offices. Obviously our
| country believes, collectively, that the interests of oil men reflect
| the highest interests of the nation, whether you or I agree personally.

I don't recall that they "packaged" themselves as oil men... I suspect that
most Americans that actually voted for them were voting for the cardboard
cut-outs they were standing behind. As a matter of fact, I suspect that
those Americans who perceived them as "oil men" overwhelmingly voted against
them.

Bruce Olin
Salad
2007-08-07 22:48:24 UTC
Post by James McGill
Post by Jeff
It's never been about what is good for our country. Never.
Our country elected oil men to its highest offices. Obviously our
country believes, collectively, that the interests of oil men reflect
the highest interests of the nation, whether you or I agree personally.
I think the winning moment for bush was when, from some weird ass
question, he said "Jesus is my favorite philosopher". The goobers add
that Christian shit up life flies on dung. At that moment I felt he had
the presidency in the palm of his hand. He might not have been the
sharpest knive in the drawer but he sure knew what the goobers wanted to
hear.
Salad
Really? I thought it was an indication of how much we despise ourselves.
George W. Stalin
2007-08-07 22:18:17 UTC
Post by Charles Aulds
Post by Salad
Maybe we could buy the oil instead of attempting to steal it.
A LOT cheaper than the price of this war ... unless you are one of those
who believe that a very low value can be placed on the lives of American
soldiers (rightwinger, I mean YOU).
Most of us, traditional conservatives like myself, and progressives alike,
still consider those lives a part of our national treasure; far too
precious to waste.
Charles
Time to evacuate the NIMBYers in Flarduh and start pumping those gushers.