@John C. Goodman: Where Are All the New Jobs?
Knifefight Afterdance
2011-07-17 13:36:12 UTC
July 17, 2011

Why aren’t employers hiring more workers? Why are so many people
seeking work unable to find anything other than part-time positions or
temporary employment? And that’s when they can find a job at all.

In short, what’s causing the continuing stagnation of the U.S. economy?

Former Sen. Phil Gramm observed in the Wall Street Journal the other
day that we’ve had recessions before. But at this point in the cycle we
should be roaring back. Had we followed the pattern of the previous 10
recessions, almost 12 million more people would be employed right now,
producing additional goods and services worth more than $8,000 for
every household in America.

So what gives?

Job Creators Alliance (JCA) is an alliance of business leaders who are
focused on this very issue. These are employers who are in the
trenches, facing the economy’s woes day in and day out. Two of them
told Fox Morning News last week that the reasons for slow job growth
boil down to basic common sense. (Fair disclosure: my wife Jeanette is
the director of the organization.)

Think of it this way. When an employer hires a full-time worker, the
employer thinks of the relationship as long term. During an initial
training and learning period, the employer probably pays out more in
wages and benefits than the company gets back in production. But over a
longer period, the hope is to turn that around and make a profit.

When employers hire new employees, then, they are making a gamble. They
are betting that over time, the economics of the relationship will pan
out.

The problem in the current economy is that hiring new workers and
committing to new production has become extremely risky. As the JCA
folks explain, an employer who hires workers today has no idea what the
company’s future labor costs will be. Or its building and facility
costs. Or its cost of capital. Or its taxes.

What’s causing all this uncertainty? You guessed it. Nobody knows what
is going to happen in Washington, D.C.

Take the cost of labor. The Affordable Care Act (what some people call
ObamaCare) is designed to force employers to provide full-time
employees with comprehensive health insurance in less than three years.
While the goal may be admirable, the consequences are not. Although no
one knows how much this extra burden will cost, estimates are that the
required family coverage will reach $15,000 a year or more — the
equivalent of an additional $6 an hour minimum wage.

Employers could decide to drop their health insurance altogether; and
if they do so they must pay a fine of $2,000 per employee per year. Yet
if a lot of employers do this (and apparently a lot of them are
thinking about it), don’t you think the federal government will respond
by making the fine a lot higher?

Then there is the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). After the
aircraft maker Boeing spent $1 billion building a new plant and hiring
1,000 workers in South Carolina, the agency brought a halt to the whole
thing, calling it an unfair labor practice. Boeing’s sin? South
Carolina is a right-to-work state. The company should have built the
plant in Seattle, where it would be required to use union labor.

There is more bad news. The NLRB is considering rule changes that would
make it much easier to unionize workers. Would you like to see
employers across the country facing the same kind of turmoil state
governments are now facing in dealing with public sector unions? Most
employers don’t relish that idea either.

Under the Obama presidency, the NLRB has made a radical change of
direction. Some would say it is much more pro-labor, but this is a
misnomer. What the agency is dedicated to is not labor, but making
labor more costly.

As for capital investments such as new buildings and new equipment,
here again there is considerable regulatory uncertainty. It should come
as no surprise that the Obama administration is overly friendly to
environmental groups who see carbon dioxide emissions as pollution. Yet
every act of production emits carbon dioxide. You even emit it when you
exhale.

As for the cost of financial capital, what is going to happen is
anybody’s guess. When the Bush tax cuts finally do expire, the tax on
capital gains will increase by a third and the tax on dividends will
more than double. The administration has made no secret that it would
like to accelerate these tax increases and make them even higher.

Bottom line: even if there were no Republican opposition in Washington,
we would be in trouble. The Obama administration is profoundly
anti-labor. It thinks it is pro-labor, of course. But that is because
it is so naïve about economics that it doesn’t understand that when you
make hiring more costly there will be less hiring.

But there are Republicans in Washington, and (ironically) their
presence in some ways adds to uncertainty. While the two parties are
battling, who knows what the outcome will be? No one can.

So the best strategy from a business perspective is to sit on cash,
delay the employment of labor and capital and wait to see what happens
next.

John C. Goodman is president and founder of the National Center for
Policy Analysis, a free-market think tank established in 1983.
Christopher Helms
2011-07-17 12:59:36 UTC
On Jul 17, 8:36 am, "Knifefight Afterdance" <***@aol.com>
wrote:
> July 17, 2011
>
> Why aren’t employers hiring more workers? Why are so many people
> seeking work unable to find anything other than part-time positions or
> temporary employment? And that’s when they can find a job at all.
>
> In short, what’s causing the continuing stagnation of the U.S. economy?
>
> Former Sen. Phil Gramm observed in the Wall Street Journal the other
> day that we’ve had recessions before. But at this point in the cycle we
> should be roaring back. Had we followed the pattern of the previous 10
> recessions, almost 12 million more people would be employed right now,
> producing additional goods and services worth more than $8,000 for
> every household in America.
>
> So what gives?

Corporate zombies like Phil Gramm keep getting elected to Congress.
That's what gives. Leave it to the guy who practically authored a
global banking collapse with his obsessive, moronic lobbying for the
repeal of Glass-Steagall to whine about the nation's slow recovery
from it. "Patriots" like Gramm couldn't have done more damage to this
country if they had been lobbying successfully for Al Queda and
they're treated like goddamn heroes by the brain dead right wing
media.
The PHANTOM
2011-07-17 13:17:33 UTC

KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
6139 Dead, 1282 since 1/20/09
2011-07-17 13:45:15 UTC
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:17:33 -0700, The PHANTOM wrote:

> On Jul 17, 7:59 am, Christopher Helms <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 17, 8:36 am, "Knifefight Afterdance" <***@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > July 17, 2011
>>
>> > Why aren’t employers hiring more workers? Why are so many people
>> > seeking work unable to find anything other than part-time positions
>> > or temporary employment? And that’s when they can find a job at all.
>>
>> > In short, what’s causing the continuing stagnation of the U.S.
>> > economy?
>>
>> > Former Sen. Phil Gramm observed in the Wall Street Journal the other
>> > day that we’ve had recessions before. But at this point in the cycle
>> > we should be roaring back. Had we followed the pattern of the
>> > previous 10 recessions, almost 12 million more people would be
>> > employed right now, producing additional goods and services worth
>> > more than $8,000 for every household in America.
>>
>> > So what gives?
>>
>> Corporate zombies like Phil Gramm keep getting elected to Congress.
>> That's what gives. Leave it to the guy who practically authored a
>> global banking collapse with his obsessive, moronic lobbying for the
>> repeal of Glass-Steagall to whine about the nation's slow recovery from
>> it. "Patriots" like Gramm couldn't have done more damage to this
>> country if they had been lobbying successfully for Al Queda and they're
>> treated like goddamn heroes by the brain dead right wing media.- Hide
>> quoted text -

> KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!

Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole? The marching morons in Congress
won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector will
provide.

So where are the fucking jobs?
Steve
2011-07-18 00:30:55 UTC
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:45:15 +0000 (UTC), "6139 Dead, 1282 since
1/20/09" <***@gone.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:17:33 -0700, The PHANTOM wrote:
>
>> On Jul 17, 7:59 am, Christopher Helms <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Corporate zombies like Phil Gramm keep getting elected to Congress.
>>> That's what gives. Leave it to the guy who practically authored a
>>> global banking collapse with his obsessive, moronic lobbying for the
>>> repeal of Glass-Steagall to whine about the nation's slow recovery from
>>> it. "Patriots" like Gramm couldn't have done more damage to this
>>> country if they had been lobbying successfully for Al Queda and they're
>>> treated like goddamn heroes by the brain dead right wing media.- Hide
>>> quoted text -

>> KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
>
>Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole? The marching morons in Congress
>won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector will
>provide.
>
>So where are the fucking jobs?

I guess the dunce in the White House didn't create any jobs...

--

It's clear that finance and economics will never be the
strong suits of Jamieson or Shook. See below:

"companies are literally hoarding "cash." And by
definition, if they have the cash, it's not in
circulation. Money is zero-sum, which means, every
dollar a company holds onto is a dollar that isn't
in circulation. "
--Milt Shook
.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.society.liberalism/msg/a3be1dd3b08297bb?hl=en

"Bubbles, YOU'RE the one saying if we take money out of
general circulation, the economy will improve."
--David (Zepp) Jamieson stupidly claiming that corporate
cash reserves "take money out of circulation"
.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.rush-limbaugh/msg/9d77036a53c7a52c?hl=en

Canyon Note:

There's two kinds of cash... there's currency and then there's
non-currency cash like your checking and saving's account,
and the cash equivalents... only currency is what can be taken
out of circulation, whle the noncurrency cash is only a
reference to some unspecified currency, which, of course,
is in circulation.
The PHANTOM
2011-07-18 17:46:15 UTC
On Jul 17, 8:45 am, "6139 Dead, 1282 since 1/20/09" <***@gone.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:17:33 -0700, The PHANTOM wrote:
> > On Jul 17, 7:59 am, Christopher  Helms <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Corporate zombies like Phil Gramm keep getting elected to Congress.
> >> That's what gives. Leave it to the guy who practically authored a
> >> global banking collapse with his obsessive, moronic lobbying for the
> >> repeal of Glass-Steagall to whine about the nation's slow recovery from
> >> it. "Patriots" like Gramm couldn't have done more damage to this
> >> country if they had been lobbying successfully for Al Queda and they're
> >> treated like goddamn heroes by the brain dead right wing media.- Hide
> >> quoted text -

> > KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
>
> Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole?  The marching morons in Congress
> won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector will
> provide.
>
> So where are the fucking jobs?- Hide quoted text -

NO SHIT !! After a $TRILLION PORKULOUS(squander) where's all the
promised jobs created/saved? I mean besides government and union jobs?
Btw,where are those promised "thousands of shovel ready jobs"??
Bible Studies with Satan
2011-07-18 17:53:02 UTC
The PHANTOM wrote:

> On Jul 17, 8:45 am, "6139 Dead, 1282 since 1/20/09" <***@gone.com>
> wrote:

>> > KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
>>
>> Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole?  The marching morons in Congress
>> won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector will
>> provide.
>>
>> So where are the fucking jobs?- Hide quoted text -

> NO SHIT !! After a $TRILLION PORKULOUS(squander) where's all the
> promised jobs created/saved? I mean besides government and union jobs?
> Btw,where are those promised "thousands of shovel ready jobs"??

You didn't get a job because you're not qualified to do anything of value, and
because you aren't trustworthy enough to be handed the keys to the janitor's
closet.
.
Ezekiel 23:20
Jerry Okamura
2011-07-18 17:59:26 UTC

How do you know he does not have a job? Or did you just tell a lie?
The PHANTOM
2011-07-18 19:17:29 UTC
On Jul 18, 12:53 pm, Bible Studies with Satan <***@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> The PHANTOM wrote:
> > On Jul 17, 8:45 am, "6139 Dead, 1282 since 1/20/09" <***@gone.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole?  The marching morons in Congress
> >> won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector will
> >> provide.
>
> >> So where are the fucking jobs?- Hide quoted text -

> > NO SHIT !! After a $TRILLION PORKULOUS(squander) where's all the
> > promised jobs created/saved? I mean besides government and union jobs?
> > Btw,where are those promised "thousands of shovel ready jobs"??
>
> You didn't get a job because you're not qualified to do anything of value, and
> because you aren't trustworthy enough to be handed the keys to the janitor's
> closet.
> .
> --
> Ezekiel 23:20- Hide quoted text -

I'm not one of the thousands of poor duped O'Bama supporters that was
promised a job(position)if I simply voted for him. I wonder how many
are still watching their mailbox for that promised reperations check?
Btw,where are those "thousands of shovel ready jobs" the Irish/Kenyan
doofus promised the useful idiots??
Bill Steele
2011-07-19 18:42:05 UTC
In article
<4e789bb2-6683-467a-93f8-***@y13g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
The PHANTOM <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 12:53 pm, Bible Studies with Satan <***@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The PHANTOM wrote:

> > > NO SHIT !! After a $TRILLION PORKULOUS(squander) where's all the
> > > promised jobs created/saved? I mean besides government and union jobs?
> > > Btw,where are those promised "thousands of shovel ready jobs"??
> >
> > You didn't get a job because you're not qualified to do anything of value,
> > and
> > because you aren't trustworthy enough to be handed the keys to the
> > janitor's
> > closet.
> > .
> > --
> > Ezekiel 23:20- Hide quoted text -

> I'm not one of the thousands of poor duped O'Bama supporters that was
> promised a job(position)if I simply voted for him. I wonder how many
> are still watching their mailbox for that promised reperations check?
> Btw,where are those "thousands of shovel ready jobs" the Irish/Kenyan
> doofus promised the useful idiots??

You'd have one if your Republican governor hadn't refused the stimulus
money.
Uno Hu
2011-07-19 04:55:53 UTC

<***@gmail.com> wrot=
<***@aol.com=

> l.

U.S.

> le

Congress.
Hide

> > > KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
> >
> > Well, where ARE all the jobs, asshole? =A0The marching morons in
Congress
> > won't back any stimulus plans because they say the private sector
will
> > provide.
> >
> > So where are the fucking jobs?- Hide quoted text -

> NO SHIT !! After a $TRILLION PORKULOUS(squander) where's all the
> promised jobs created/saved? I mean besides government and union
jobs?
> Btw,where are those promised "thousands of shovel ready jobs"??

Direct your entreaty to the LYING repooplicons who keened that their
number 1 job would be to create jobs.

Instead the demon possessed retards decided to steal pensions,
privatize government positions, steal unemploymnt benefits from outof
work americans, and give granny a cut in social security and medicare.
Ray Fischer
2011-07-17 18:40:37 UTC
The PHANTOM <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!

Yep, that sums up what you write.

***@sonic.net | The new GOP ideal
Ubiquitous
2011-07-18 03:17:42 UTC
In article <4e232ca5$0$2162$***@news.sonic.net>, ***@sonic.net
wrote:
>The PHANTOM <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
>
>Yep, that sums up what you write.

Projection noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

--
"Admittedly, conservatives give as good as they get. The difference
between us and [leftists] is that we can argue as well as inveigh.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."
Ray Fischer
2011-07-18 05:53:00 UTC
Ubiquitous <***@polaris.net> wrote:
> ***@sonic.net
>>The PHANTOM <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !! KOOKOOO !!! KOOKOOOO !!!! KOOKOOOO !!!!!
>>
>>Yep, that sums up what you write.
>
>Projection noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

Smirk. The rightard pretends that "KOOKOO !! KOOKOO !!" is a "real argument".

Rightards: Dumb as toast and batshit crazy.

***@sonic.net | The new GOP ideal
Ubiquitous
2011-07-18 09:09:03 UTC
In article <4e23ca3c$0$2191$***@news.sonic.net>, ***@sonic.net
wrote:
>Ubiquitous <***@polaris.net> wrote:
>> ***@sonic.net

>>>Yep, that sums up what you write.
>>
>>Projection noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.
>
>Rightards

Epithet noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

Vocalize
2011-07-18 01:58:40 UTC
Rec.arts.tv ???????

On 7/17/11 5:59 AM, in article