EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE MILLENNIA?
Pookie
2005-05-12 01:16:03 UTC
EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE MILLENNIA?
by Ann Coulter
May 11, 2005

It's always important to get liberals to stop complaining long enough
to make a hard prediction. This week we will review liberal predictions on
bringing democracy to Iraq.
When they weren't claiming the Iraq elections would not take place at
all - and, even if they did, the people wouldn't participate - liberals were
telling us that if we let those crazy Arabs vote, the Iraqi people would
elect extremist Islamic mullahs hostile to the United States.
Well, the Iraq National Assembly completed filling out the cabinet this
week, and it can now be said that this was liberals' laughably wrong
prediction No. 9,856. (Or No. 9,857 if you count their predictions of
ruinous global cooling back in the 1970s, which I don't because that could
still happen.)
Iraq's first democratically elected government in half a century has a
Shia prime minister and a Kurdish president and several Sunni cabinet
ministers. In fact, toss in a couple of dowdy lesbians from the Green Party
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
Fat Muqtada al-Sadr saw his radical Shiite movement humiliated in the
January elections. According to a recent poll by the International
Republican Institute, two-thirds of Iraqis say Iraq is on the right track.
The minority Sunnis, who once held sway under Saddam Hussein and were
told by American liberals to expect major payback from the Shiites under a
democracy, were chosen by the majority Shia government for four cabinet
positions - including the not insignificant position of defense minister.
Plus, the Sunnis might get a fifth if they can convince Rep. Ali Abu
Jeffords to switch parties.
One of the Sunnis picked for a cabinet post turned it down on the
grounds that he thought he was chosen simply to fill a Sunni quota. "I don't
believe in sectarianism," he said, "I believe in democracy." So I'll be
moving to Iraq soon to live in a country that forcefully rejects quotas.
Also this week, Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari said he would like a
woman as his fourth deputy prime minister. It's as if the Taliban has risen
from the dead!
Apparently - like John Kerry and the Democrats - I guess the Muslim
extremists just didn't get their message out. Although "Green Zone Veterans
for Truth" were also a factor.
What we've learned from this is: Talking to liberals is much more fun
now that we have Lexis-Nexis.
In a Nov. 9, 2003, news article, The New York Times raised the prospect
that "democracy in the Middle East might empower the very forces that the
United States opposes, like Islamic fundamentalists in Saudi Arabia and
Egypt."
Democracy in the U.S. might have put John Kerry in the White House,
too, but you'll notice we didn't abandon the idea.
One difference is that the Islamic fundamentalists in Saudi Arabia and
Egypt were not democratically elected. Still, the Times said that "something
similar" happened in Iran when "domestic pressures" installed the Ayatollah
Ruhollah Khomeini. By "domestic pressures" in Iran, I gather the Times meant
"the Carter presidency."
Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Trudy Rubin claimed to be talking about
"grim Iraq realities," explaining to her readers that if elections were
held, the new Iraqi government "will likely be dominated by religious
parties. If the economy stays bad, radical Islamic parties could do well."
So you can see how leaving the tyrannical Hussein dynasty (slogan: "We're
the rape room people!") in place was preferable to that.
Winning the category of Most Wrong Predictions in the Fewest Words, Joe
Conason predicted in the Sept. 27, 2004, New York Observer: "a series of
horrifically violent confrontations in Iraq's cities, a postponement of the
January elections, a wider call-up of National Guard and Reserve units, or
even a renewed military draft." And if Bush won a second term, Conason said:
"Beware the 'November surprise' that will begin to bring home the true costs
of his feckless adventure."
Conason's feeble litany of harebrained predictions reads like a haiku
of bum steers. No increase in "horrific" violence, no postponement of
elections, no draft, no "November surprise." (OK, there was one "November
surprise" - but only for the Democrats. It happened on Nov. 2.)
Winning the category of Most Wrong Predictions, Lifetime Achievement
Award, Katrina vanden Heuvel (Queen of the May at the fun-loving Nation
magazine) said invading Iraq would lead to "more terrorist retaliation,
undermine the fight against al-Qaida and make America less secure and
possibly unleash those very weapons of mass destruction into the hands of
rogue terrorists in Iraq."
What weapons, Katrina? (Katrina lied, kids died!) Hey! Wait a minute!
How can rogue terrorists in Iraq detonate bombs? They're all too busy flying
kites with their children! Hasn't she seen "Fahrenheit 9/11"?
After we invaded Iraq, Katrina predicted the U.S. would stay in Iraq as
a colonial power - as the only nonimperialist superpower in the history of
the world is wont to do. As we paved the way for elections, she said, "You
know, if there are elections in Iraq, it's very likely it will not be
secular democracy."
But it's not fair to quote Katrina. She still thinks the Soviet Union's
planned economy failed because the farmers had 70 years of bad weather.
Liberals' current prediction is that Hillary will be able to do a planned
economy right.

http://www.anncoulter.org/
ThomJeff
2005-05-12 01:31:46 UTC
Post by Pookie
EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE MILLENNIA?
by Ann Coulter
May 11, 2005
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
Post by Pookie
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>

This is fairly typical stuff from the right
these days. In fact, she's no worse than a
half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.

It's sad that this virago is considered a
serious pundit. By anyone.

Thom
____________
2005-05-12 03:02:11 UTC
Post by Pookie
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
This is fairly typical stuff from the right these days. In fact, she's no
worse than a half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.
It's sad that this virago is considered a serious pundit. By anyone.
Thom
Just have a look at what passes for a president, his cabinet, and a UN
representative candidate to see how far our standards have fallen. It's
like some kind of superhero comic book, with Bush's cabinet as the colorful
arch-villians.
Brian Peppers
2005-05-12 04:37:25 UTC
"____________" <***@___.net> wrote in message news:TGzge.72792$***@attbi_s22...

| "ThomJeff" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Pookie wrote:
| >> EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE MILLENNIA?
| >> by Ann Coulter
| >> May 11, 2005
| >
| > <snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
| >
| >> Iraq's first democratically elected government in half a century
has
| >> Shia prime minister and a Kurdish president and several Sunni cabinet
| >> ministers. In fact, toss in a couple of dowdy lesbians from
| > the Green Party
| >> and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
| >
| > <snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
| >
| > This is fairly typical stuff from the right these days. In fact, she's
no
| > worse than a half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.
| >
| > It's sad that this virago is considered a serious pundit. By anyone.
| >
| > Thom
|
| Just have a look at what passes for a president, his cabinet, and a UN
| representative candidate to see how far our standards have fallen. It's
| like some kind of superhero comic book, with Bush's cabinet as the
colorful
| arch-villians.

Bush - Voldemort
Cheney - Sauron
Rumsfeld - Darth Vader
Phil
2005-05-12 04:38:44 UTC
Post by Pookie
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
This is fairly typical stuff from the right these days. In fact, she's no
worse than a half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.
It's sad that this virago is considered a serious pundit. By anyone.
Thom
It really takes HUGE balls for the right-wing nuts to mock Democratic
predictions. This from the party of "Mission Accomplished" and "Slam-Dunk"
Bush.
____________
2005-05-12 04:59:12 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Pookie
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
This is fairly typical stuff from the right these days. In fact, she's no
worse than a half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.
It's sad that this virago is considered a serious pundit. By anyone.
Thom
It really takes HUGE balls for the right-wing nuts to mock Democratic
predictions. This from the party of "Mission Accomplished" and
"Slam-Dunk" Bush.
Ann "the Man" Coulter is swingin' a big, brass pair. I'd slap her on the
back and buy her a pint of Bud, but I'd probably snap her in half.
Pookie
2005-05-12 11:19:13 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
Post by Pookie
and it would look a lot like Vermont's state house.
<snip paragraphs of hate-filled sarcasm>
This is fairly typical stuff from the right these days. In fact, she's no
worse than a half-dozen talk show hosts I've heard.
It's sad that this virago is considered a serious pundit. By anyone.
Thom
It really takes HUGE balls for the right-wing nuts to mock Democratic
predictions. This from the party of "Mission Accomplished" and "Slam-Dunk"
Bush.
Democrats Don't Recall FDR's 'Promises' - The Last Word

Byline: Ralph de Toledano, INSIGHT

Perhaps Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota, Democratic
National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe and presidential hopeful Sen.
John Kerry of Massachusetts should study the Democratic past. It might
temper their demonizing attacks on President George W. Bush and inject some
decency into their political rhetoric. It also would remind them of the mote
in their collective eye.

They are giving their tonsils a workout, accusing Bush of having "lied" to
the American people about Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction and
his economic program. Their research would introduce them to lies of vast
proportions. To wit: Franklin D. Roosevelt's pledge, made "again and again
and again," that no American boys would be sent overseas to fight in a
foreign war a pledge made at a time when he was working secretly with
Winston Churchill to involve us 100 percent in Europe's hostilities.

Today's Democratic leaders have far more on their plate than FDR's wartime
prevarications. Belaboring Bush for his economic program, they demonstrate
what can be described as a vast ignorance of the Democratic past, or
deliberate obfuscation, to be charitable about it. Let me remind them.

When Roosevelt ran for president in 1932, he had made a record of a proposed
program that the American people believed reflected his honest convictions.
Walter Lippman, the great liberal guru, wrote that FDR's "mind is not very
clear, his purposes are not simple and his methods are not direct" a polite
way of saying he was deceptive.

FDR pleaded for states' rights and warned eloquently against centralization
of power in the hands of the federal government. "The doctrine of regulation
and legislation by 'masterminds' ... has been too glaringly apparent at
Washington during the [Republican administrations]," the sage of Hyde Park
opined. "Were it possible to find ... men almost godlike in their ability to
hold the scales of justice with an even hand, such a government might be in
the interests of the country, but there are none such on our political
horizon."

The Democratic Party and FDR ran on a promise of the "immediate and drastic
reduction of governmental expenditures" by reducing the bureaucracy "to
accomplish a saving of not less than 25 percent in the cost of the federal
government." He fulfilled this promise by adding 100,000 bureaucrats to the
federal payroll, not counting those on relief, the Civilian Conservation
Corps and the Public Works Administration.

FDR and the Democrats promised a balanced budget, and commensurate taxation.
But as his program skyrocketed taxes, FDR was warned that there would be a
revolt on Tax Day if Americans were called upon to shell out all at once. At
this point, the brain trust devised "withholding" directly from paychecks to
hide the extent of new taxation.

Roosevelt railed against budget deficits which under president Herbert
Hoover had amounted to $7 billion in four years. FDR's deficits in the first
two years of his administration came to $7.5 billion. His total expenditures
for 1934 to 1936 came to $24 billion whereas the cost of the federal
government from the time of George Washington up to Woodrow Wilson had been
$25.5 billion in sum. This indicates how FDR cut expenditures.

To limit the centralization of government, one of FDR's first acts was the
enactment of the National Industrial Recovery Act (patterned on Benito
Mussolini's corporative ideology), which suspended the antitrust laws and
favored big corporations over small business. The Supreme Court tossed it
out. FDR condemned "the extravagance" of Hoover's agricultural policy "and
its unsound restriction of agricultural production" and then made it a
permanent part of agricultural policy. The Agricultural Adjustment Act (or
"Triple A," as it was called), which directed the destruction of crops at a
time when Americans were going hungry, also was declared unconstitutional by
the Supreme Court.

As president, FDR shot down every one of his campaign promises. Four years
later, when he was running for re-election, the unemployment rate, hovering
at 11.5 million, remained at the 1932 level. Recovery was so far distant
that the 1936-37 Roosevelt recession would have become permanent had not
America's impending participation in World War II boosted the economy by
putting the unemployed in military uniforms.

Move to the 21st century. As John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan demonstrated,
tax-cutting paradoxically increases federal revenues. Measures to encourage
business and investment are a sine qua non. And yet the Democrats have been
so determined to prevent tax cuts that some unkind souls suggest that they
want the economy to slump in order to defeat the Republicans in 2004.

In 1935 James Warburg, who had been one of the drum beaters for FDR,
published a small book 92 pages entitled Hellbent for Election. I came
across a copy among my collection of political books and gladly would donate
mine to the Democratic National Committee if it can be shown that Terry
McAuliffe wants to read it or can.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_2003_July_22/ai_105537756#continue
Roger

http://www.anncoulter.org/