Captain Compassion's top 10 Movies of all time.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 00:50:39 UTC
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
--
"Looking at every bump and wiggle of the record is a waste of time -
it's like trying to figure out the probability of a pair of dice
by looking at the individual rolls. You've got to look at averages.
So, I don't set very much store in looking at the direct evidence."
-- Stephen Schneider

"America is a vast conspiracy to make you happy." -- John Updike

"Why would I listen to losers?" -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Long term commitment in relationships is only necessary because it takes
so damn long to raise children. Marriage may well be some kind of trick
to keep the males around beyond sexual satiation." -- Captain Compassion

"Progress is the increasing control of the environment by life.
--Will Durant

Joseph R. Darancette
***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Dave Thompson
2005-05-29 01:14:59 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 01:35:55 UTC
On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:14:59 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Raging Bull was Ok. China Town is definitely way up there.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Dave Thompson
2005-05-29 03:32:56 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Raging Bull was Ok. China Town is definitely way up there.
Casablanca?

African Queen?

Cain Mutiny?

Just to mention Bogart films.

How bout westerns like The Shootist? Don't you think that's better than
Stage Coach?
___________
2005-05-29 06:16:09 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Raging Bull was Ok. China Town is definitely way up there.
Casablanca?
African Queen?
Cain Mutiny?
Just to mention Bogart films.
How could you forget The Treasure of Sierra Madre: "Badges? We don't need
no steeenking badges!"
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-29 16:31:28 UTC
Post by ___________
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Raging Bull was Ok. China Town is definitely way up there.
Casablanca?
African Queen?
Cain Mutiny?
Just to mention Bogart films.
How could you forget The Treasure of Sierra Madre: "Badges? We don't need
no steeenking badges!"
"Key Largo", "High Sierra", "To Have and Have Not", "Big Sleep" haven't
even been mentioned, I do not believe.

And a non-Bogart flick that is a must see is "I Am a Fugitive from a
Chain Gang" which was made in 1932 and had as technical advisor a guy
who was telling the story of his life which included the fact that he
was still a fugitive while they were filming the picture.
--
"He's asking if you killed Freddie Miles and then killed Dickie
Greenleaf."
-+Thomas Ripley using Bill Clinton logic, "The Talented Mr Ripley"
w***@ireland.com
2005-05-29 16:49:54 UTC
On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:31:28 -0700, "Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus
of recirculation')" <***@postpend.net.ru> wrote:

(snip)
Post by Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
And a non-Bogart flick that is a must see is "I Am a Fugitive from a
Chain Gang" which was made in 1932 and had as technical advisor a guy
who was telling the story of his life which included the fact that he
was still a fugitive while they were filming the picture.
Great choice and there's even a new digital transfer that just came
out.

WB Yeats
Dave Thompson
2005-05-29 17:43:15 UTC
Post by ___________
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town. But pretty good list. The power of your suggestion is going
to make me watch Kelly's Heros tonite.
Raging Bull was Ok. China Town is definitely way up there.
Casablanca?
African Queen?
Cain Mutiny?
Just to mention Bogart films.
How could you forget The Treasure of Sierra Madre: "Badges? We don't
need no steeenking badges!"
We had to study that film in a film class and later studied Raoul Walsh so
we saw it again. Just got sick of it if you know what I mean.
Captain Compassion

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Roedy Green
2005-05-30 04:23:29 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
How bout westerns like The Shootist? Don't you think that's better than
Stage Coach?
My two favourite westerns were Silverado and McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-30 05:53:25 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
How bout westerns like The Shootist? Don't you think that's better than
Stage Coach?
My two favourite westerns were Silverado and McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Loved McCabe. The sound track was by Leonard Cohen. Cohen is most
possibly the best thing ever out of Canada. Yukon Jack would be a
distant second.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-29 01:39:55 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
My list would probably not include 4 and 5, but would include Raging Bull
and China Town.
A raging bull in a town of china would be better.
--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-29 01:37:34 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
Certainly a version of "Heart of Darkness" that makes sense would be
better.
Post by Captain Compassion
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
While I don't think they made Animal House in 1939, that was the year of
film.
Post by Captain Compassion
9. Full Metal Jacket
It's supposedly a B movie, but have you seen "The Siege of Firebase
Gloria"? That's a war movie.
Post by Captain Compassion
10. Kelly's Heros
I'm sure the writers of "Three Kings" took some pointers from this one.

To get to someone's top ten, you are going to have to get to things that
you just personally liked and not really deal with importance, best,
whatever, in any objective sense.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 01:56:53 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
9. Full Metal Jacket
It's supposedly a B movie, but have you seen "The Siege of Firebase
Gloria"? That's a war movie.
It's Ok but FMJ has all them great quotes.

Door Gunner: Anyone who runs is a V.C.! Anyone who stands still... is
a well-disciplined V.C.!

Private Joker: How can you shoot women and children?
Door Gunner: Easy... you don't lead 'em so much. [laughs]
Door Gunner: Ain't war hell?
Post by Captain Compassion
10. Kelly's Heros
I'm sure the writers of "Three Kings" took some pointers from this one.
To get to someone's top ten, you are going to have to get to things that
you just personally liked and not really deal with importance, best,
whatever, in any objective sense.
I would never state otherwise.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Ryd
2005-05-29 15:50:14 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
10. Kelly's Heros
I'm sure the writers of "Three Kings" took some pointers from this one.

--------------------------

Dirty Dozen.

What a crew!

Reisman, Wladislaw, Jefferson, Franko, Maggott, Pinkley...all the rest.
Trini Lopez was quite poignant.

Almost won best picture.

Ryda
Captain Compassion
2005-05-30 02:31:35 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
While I don't think they made Animal House in 1939, that was the year of
film.
Animal House was set somewhere in the mid 60s.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-30 06:43:28 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
While I don't think they made Animal House in 1939, that was the year of
film.
Animal House was set somewhere in the mid 60s.
1939 was the year of film, not the year that all films were made.
f***@mailandnews.com
2005-05-29 02:28:21 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
Those I agree with are:

Godfather
Stage Coach
Wizzard of Oz

You neglect some classics:

Citizen Kane (usually voted greatest film)
Casablanca (my favorite)
Birth of a Nation
Shadow of a Doubt (my favorite Hitchcock film, and I read his)
The Great Dictator (Chaplin)
La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, my favorite of his films)
Jules et Jim (Goddard)
La Regle du Jeu (Jean Renoir)
Some Like it Hot (Wilder)
Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (not on any lists that I know of, but my
favorite WW II film and I can't help thinking of it as so many war
films are playing this weekend)
And don't forget Mad Max II the road warrior.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 03:38:32 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
I found it boring.
Post by Captain Compassion
Casablanca (my favorite)
great
Post by Captain Compassion
Birth of a Nation
so..so
Post by Captain Compassion
Shadow of a Doubt (my favorite Hitchcock film, and I read his)
Never saw it
Post by Captain Compassion
The Great Dictator (Chaplin)
Ok
Post by Captain Compassion
La Dolce Vita (Fellini)
Great
Post by Captain Compassion
The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, my favorite of his films)
good
Post by Captain Compassion
Jules et Jim (Goddard)
Never saw it
Post by Captain Compassion
La Regle du Jeu (Jean Renoir)
Never saw it
Post by Captain Compassion
Some Like it Hot (Wilder)
extremely funny
Post by Captain Compassion
Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
Very good.
Post by Captain Compassion
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (not on any lists that I know of, but my
favorite WW II film and I can't help thinking of it as so many war
films are playing this weekend)
I loved the court room scene. :)

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Mike V.
2005-05-29 06:13:09 UTC
Post by f***@mailandnews.com
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
And a few more:

The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
Unforgiven
Jaws
Amadeus
Rushmore
Shawshank Redemption

And, one of the greatest movies of all time (no, I am not kidding),
The Big Lebowski.
Roedy Green
2005-05-30 01:28:24 UTC
My list, heavier on comedy than most:

1. Some Like it Hot
2. Something For Everyone
3. Dr. Strangelove
4. Lawrence of Arabia
5. Beckett
6. China Syndrome
7. Cabaret
8. Gandhi
9. Dr. Zhivago
10. Remo Williams, The adventure Begins
11. Hawaii
12. Citizen Kane
13. Key Largo

That is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other greats I
would insert there somewhere.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-30 02:38:19 UTC
On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:28:24 GMT, Roedy Green
Post by Roedy Green
1. Some Like it Hot
Wilder at his best. Funny.
Post by Roedy Green
2. Something For Everyone
Never seen it.
Post by Roedy Green
3. Dr. Strangelove
Great
Post by Roedy Green
4. Lawrence of Arabia
Great
Post by Roedy Green
5. Beckett
Good
Post by Roedy Green
6. China Syndrome
Fair
Post by Roedy Green
7. Cabaret
Loved the music. Liza was at her best.
Post by Roedy Green
8. Gandhi
Fair
Post by Roedy Green
9. Dr. Zhivago
Top 10
Post by Roedy Green
10. Remo Williams, The adventure Begins
OK
Post by Roedy Green
11. Hawaii
Very good
Post by Roedy Green
12. Citizen Kane
Actually bored me,
Post by Roedy Green
13. Key Largo
Excellent. Best Bogart is African Queen.
Post by Roedy Green
That is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other greats I
would insert there somewhere.
It's tough to get only 10. I put on movies that I love to watch. Not
the critical best. I ain't a critic merely a consumer.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Roedy Green
2005-05-30 04:20:51 UTC
On Mon, 30 May 2005 01:28:24 GMT, Roedy Green
Thought some more, and expanded my list to the top 31

Some Like it Hot
Something For Everyone
Dr. Strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
China Syndrome
Cabaret
Gandhi
My Life As a Dog
Becket
Nowhere In Africa
Dr. Zhivago
Remo Williams, The adventure Begins
Artificial Intelligence: AI
Hawaii
Ciderhouse Rules
Mrs. Doubtfire
Citizen Kane
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Power Of One
Key Largo
Titanic
Sound of Music
Mary Poppins
Butterbox Babies
Fellini's Satyricon
Thelma and Louise
Kinsey
Before and After
Cool Hand Luke
Grease
American Grafitti

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Bugman
2005-05-30 04:56:32 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
Being There
Little Big Man
The Seven Samarai
Once Upon a Time in America
Ron O'Neal
2005-05-29 02:51:23 UTC
Not to contest your choices (they are very good) but I am guessing you are
under 40 years of age. (???)

Many of my favorties, and not in order of preference, are from an earlier
time: Inherit The Wind, Twelve Angry Men, Judgement at Nuremburg, The
Godfather, The Crucible, The African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, and perhaps
the best "guy" film ever made: Lawrence of Arabia.

Movies speak to each generation in a different voice, but with the same
message.

RO
Joseph R. Darancette
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-29 03:19:24 UTC
Post by Ron O'Neal
Not to contest your choices (they are very good) but I am guessing you are
under 40 years of age. (???)
Many of my favorties, and not in order of preference, are from an earlier
time: Inherit The Wind, Twelve Angry Men, Judgement at Nuremburg, The
Godfather, The Crucible, The African Queen, The Caine Mutiny,
So those are for the older set but Wizard of Oz and Stagecoach, in his
top ten and made in 1939, are not?
Post by Ron O'Neal
and perhaps
the best "guy" film ever made: Lawrence of Arabia.
If Peter O'Toole had worn any more make-up, they'd have had to call the
movie "Florence of Arabia".
Post by Ron O'Neal
Movies speak to each generation in a different voice, but with the same
message.
Buy tickets.
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 03:45:15 UTC
Post by Ron O'Neal
Not to contest your choices (they are very good) but I am guessing you are
under 40 years of age. (???)
Both Stagecoach and Wizard of Oz were screened 8 years before I was
born.
Post by Ron O'Neal
Many of my favorties, and not in order of preference, are from an earlier
time: Inherit The Wind, Twelve Angry Men, Judgement at Nuremburg, The
Godfather, The Crucible, The African Queen, The Caine Mutiny, and perhaps
the best "guy" film ever made: Lawrence of Arabia.
Movies speak to each generation in a different voice, but with the same
message.
The African Queen and Lawrence of Arabia were both great.
Post by Ron O'Neal
RO

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
abracadabra
2005-05-29 03:07:34 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
"Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Grapes of Wrath", and "To Have and Have
Not" ought to have made that list, IMO.
You ought to divvy it up by category, IMO. There is so much good work out
there (thanks Netflix) to watch, if one has the time.
Tell ya, a great surrealistic film that came out recently was "Donnie
Darko". Sadly the ending is incomprehensible, but the rest of the film is so
well crafted, I could totally forgive the film maker (I've found discussions
dedicated to trying to figure out the totally nonsensical ending).
One classic that wasn't a great film but a "film of it's time" would be
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High".
Certainly Hitchcock deserved a spot somewhere - I dunno, "The Birds" or
something.
Clearly you need to watch more independent labels and foreign films, cheaply
made films, and other obscure stuff.
I'd recommend
Diva (French)
Akira (Japanese)
Sholin Soccer (silly hong kong film, but great anyway)
Mad Max (Too classic, and Mel Gibson at his coolist)
Das Boot (it's about subs, not boots, original German is better than
english, IMO)
Spirited Away (best work every by that director)
Slackers (great film but it's mostly talk)
Waking Life (film by the same guy, but animated and very beautiful)
Clerks (1st and best film by the maker of "Chasing Amy", which is another
good film)
Raising Arizona
Koioniskatcha(sp?)
Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove
Atomic Cafe (a Reagan era anti-nuclear film made entirely of spliced
together stock footage from the government - really brilliant)

I could go on and on. Horror films (Alien, Night of the Living Dead, Shawn
of the Dead, The Ring) deserve a catagory.
Later
Captain Compassion
2005-05-29 03:51:23 UTC
Post by abracadabra
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
My kid got me to watch this movie. Really good.
Post by abracadabra
Mad Max (Too classic, and Mel Gibson at his coolist)
Good. Best Gibson film was The Year of Living Dangerously.
Post by abracadabra
Das Boot (it's about subs, not boots, original German is better than
english, IMO)
Good. You are right The one in German was better.
Post by abracadabra
Spirited Away (best work every by that director)
Slackers (great film but it's mostly talk)
Waking Life (film by the same guy, but animated and very beautiful)
Clerks (1st and best film by the maker of "Chasing Amy", which is another
good film)
Raising Arizona
Great Movie
Post by abracadabra
Koioniskatcha(sp?)
Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove
Both great.
Post by abracadabra
I could go on and on. Horror films (Alien, Night of the Living Dead, Shawn
of the Dead, The Ring) deserve a catagory.
Later
The most I've ever been scared was the Original of War of the Worlds.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Roy Blankenship
2005-05-29 03:57:59 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
Definitely all great.

My *favorite* movies of all time:

1. Shawshank Redemption
2. Deliverance, though after you see it too many times, the flaws start to
eat away at it, it becomes like a high school play.
3. Alien
4. LA Confidential
5. The Pianist

Plus all of the above.
Lots of great ones.
w***@ireland.com
2005-05-29 15:02:03 UTC
On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:39 GMT, Captain Compassion
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
Are these your favorites or do you consider these to be the Top 10
movies ever made? If the latter is true, then numbers 2, 4, 5, 6, 9,
and 10 are highly questionable. Citizen Kane is generally regarded as
the best movie ever made - if and when you watch it remember that the
entire approach to this film and the use of the various camera angles
were firsts. Renoir's La Regle de Jeu would be right behind Kane.
Stagecoach (it's one word) is generally regarded as the greatest
western but personally I prefer The Searchers for traditional westerns
and McCabe and Mrs. Miller in the non-traditional vein. Other films
like Greed, The Gold Rush, Birth of a Nation, and Potemkin make many
film lovers' top 10's.
Most ludicrous choice (imo) - Kelly's Heroes. If you want to watch a
really fine traditional style war movie watch Band of Brothers. It's
very well made and (mostly) true on top of that. I had an uncle in the
506/101 in Dog Company and he swore by most of it - including Lt.
Spears for those of you who've seen the film.

WB Yeats
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-29 16:11:24 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
Are these your favorites or do you consider these to be the Top 10
movies ever made? If the latter is true, then numbers 2, 4, 5, 6, 9,
and 10 are highly questionable. Citizen Kane is generally regarded as
the best movie ever made - if and when you watch it remember that the
entire approach to this film and the use of the various camera angles
were firsts.
It's a little unfair to current film makers than others tried all the
obvious stuff before them.
Post by w***@ireland.com
Renoir's La Regle de Jeu would be right behind Kane.
The Rules of the Game has a lot of explicit hunting action showing the
game being shot. This would not be allowed in Hollywood today.
Post by w***@ireland.com
Stagecoach (it's one word) is generally regarded as the greatest
western but personally I prefer The Searchers for traditional westerns
and McCabe and Mrs. Miller in the non-traditional vein.
Shooting everyone in the back was pretty traditional.
Post by w***@ireland.com
Other films
like Greed, The Gold Rush, Birth of a Nation, and Potemkin make many
film lovers' top 10's.
Those are all silent films. If you put half the films in a top ten as
silent, that's pushing it a bit, I think.
w***@ireland.com
2005-05-29 16:47:57 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
Are these your favorites or do you consider these to be the Top 10
movies ever made? If the latter is true, then numbers 2, 4, 5, 6, 9,
and 10 are highly questionable. Citizen Kane is generally regarded as
the best movie ever made - if and when you watch it remember that the
entire approach to this film and the use of the various camera angles
were firsts.
It's a little unfair to current film makers than others tried all the
obvious stuff before them.
What the film greats did was not obvious when they did it! Excuse me,
Mr. Welles, but aren't those flashbacks and camera angles a little
obvious? Ummm... no, it's the first time they've been done.
Post by w***@ireland.com
Renoir's La Regle de Jeu would be right behind Kane.
The Rules of the Game has a lot of explicit hunting action showing the
game being shot. This would not be allowed in Hollywood today.
Rules of the Game wasn't made in Hollywood. And if you didn't realize
the shooting of the game was metaphorical then......
Post by w***@ireland.com
Stagecoach (it's one word) is generally regarded as the greatest
western but personally I prefer The Searchers for traditional westerns
and McCabe and Mrs. Miller in the non-traditional vein.
Shooting everyone in the back was pretty traditional.
McCabe and Mrs. Miller wasn't a traditional western in any sense of
the word. Traditional westerns possess a definite bad guy vs. good guy
morality. In Altman's film there weren't any and there were both.
Post by w***@ireland.com
Other films
like Greed, The Gold Rush, Birth of a Nation, and Potemkin make many
film lovers' top 10's.
Those are all silent films. If you put half the films in a top ten as
silent, that's pushing it a bit, I think.
I didn't say these were my choices but they are in the Top 10 of many.
What the hell (in no particular orde rexcept #1):

Citizen Kane
La Regle de Jeu
The Searchers
Some Like It Hot
Vertigo
Casablanca
Raging Bull
The Godfather
Metropolis
The Gold Rush

WB Yeats
Captain Compassion
2005-05-30 02:26:59 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
Any list like this can only be subjective.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
w***@ireland.com
2005-05-30 18:34:52 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
If it's a 10 favorite movies then it's totally subjective and you're
right. If it's a 10 best then it becomes much more objective as some
criteria must be used other than "I liked it." That was my problem
with 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10 - all of which I've seen and enjoyed but
none were ground breakers.

WB Yeats
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-30 20:56:05 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
Obviously, you'd give top billing to "The Plow That Broke the Plains"
(1936) and honourable mention to some promo spot made for John Deere.
--
"What do you value in your bulldogs? Gripping, is it not? It's their
nature? It's why you breed them? It's so with men. I will not give in
-+Paul Scofield, "A Man For All Seasons"
w***@ireland.com
2005-05-31 13:54:09 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
No, obviously I know a helluva lot more about film than you, sir. I'd
rate Nanook of the North higher than any film on CC's list save The
Godfather.

WB Yeats
Captain Compassion
2005-05-31 14:52:52 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
How many times can you see Nanook?

"Would you Laugh with my woman"?

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-05-31 23:37:38 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
"Plow" is on the National Film Registries selection 1989 to 2004.
Post by w***@ireland.com
I'd
rate Nanook of the North higher than any film on CC's list save The
Godfather.
Damn, obviously another Liberal who can't follow even a simple joke.
w***@ireland.com
2005-06-01 14:10:24 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
And that makes it somehow relevant?
Post by w***@ireland.com
I'd
rate Nanook of the North higher than any film on CC's list save The
Godfather.
Damn, obviously another Liberal who can't follow even a simple joke.
Simple being the operative word.

WB Yeats
Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
2005-06-01 17:19:51 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
You said you knew more about film than me yet I was able to pun off what
you said with a film of historical merit.
Post by w***@ireland.com
I'd
rate Nanook of the North higher than any film on CC's list save The
Godfather.
Damn, obviously another Liberal who can't follow even a simple joke.
Simple being the operative word.
Which evidently you cannot follow, as I said.
w***@ireland.com
2005-06-02 15:43:40 UTC
Post by w***@ireland.com
Post by Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation')
Obviously, you'd give top billing to "The Plow That Broke the Plains"
(1936) and honourable mention to some promo spot made for John Deere.
No, obviously I know a helluva lot more about film than you, sir.
"Plow" is on the National Film Registries selection 1989 to 2004.
And that makes it somehow relevant?
You said you knew more about film than me yet I was able to pun off what
you said with a film of historical merit.
Puns are the cheapest sorts of humor. The Nat'l Film Registry is
saving all sorts of films w/o a great deal of regard to the
importance. The preservation efforts of AFI and others in restoring
important filme (Nanook being one)
Post by w***@ireland.com
I'd
rate Nanook of the North higher than any film on CC's list save The
Godfather.
Damn, obviously another Liberal who can't follow even a simple joke.
Everything isn't political but with you being one of the New
Barbarians.........
Post by w***@ireland.com
Simple being the operative word.
Which evidently you cannot follow, as I said.
Simple is as simple does.

WB Yeats

Captain Compassion
2005-05-31 03:29:31 UTC
Post by Captain Compassion
[...]
This was labeled "Captain Compassion's top 10 Movies of all time." No
other criteria is implied or necessary.

***@NOSPAMverizon.net
Trampdad
2005-05-31 15:11:39 UTC
You forgot Fahrenheit 911
Captain Compassion
2005-05-31 18:17:14 UTC
Post by Trampdad
Post by Captain Compassion
1. Apocalypse Now.
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. The Godfather
4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
5. Forrest Gump
6. Animal House
7. Stage Coach
8. Wizzard Of Oz
9. Full Metal Jacket
10. Kelly's Heros
You forgot Fahrenheit 911
I also didn't include "Triumph of the Will" by Leni Riefenstahl.